Because there are only two seasons in the North Country: Winter and getting ready for Winter, Fireside Hearth offers many hearth services including:
The Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) recommends that people take a few steps when considering which chimney sweep will perform an annual inspection or related service on their chimney or vent. Because proper care and attention to service can help protect people from unnecessary fires and carbon monoxide poisonings, it is important to choose the professional wisely. While the CSIA recommends that people consider a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep®, there are additional questions that should be asked to ensure that the person hired is a credible service technician:
Schedule a sweep.
Enough said? Chimney caps provide protection from the weather as well as the critters that are around looking to keep warm. Let us size up and install a chimney cap for you today!
Lining a Masonry Fireplace Chimney for a wood or coal insert or hearth stove
Most of the same materials and techniques will be used whether you line a masonry fireplace or a chimney serving a freestanding stoves. Follow most of the advice below, but first read our article on installing a Fireplace insert .
Inspecting and Preparing the Chimney
Flex Liner w/Insulation As with most other projects, planning and preparation are the key to a successful relining job. The first step is to inspect, or have inspected, the chimney in it’s current condition. Note the following:
1. Does the chimney have flue tiles installed already?
2. What are in the inside measurements (ID) of the chimney?
3. Does there appear to be turns in the chimney - or areas where the chimney ID changes?
4. How dirty is the chimney?
5. What is the condition of the mortar and interior of the chimney?
6. If possible, inspect the chimney structure inside the attic of your home and confirm thickness of the exterior walls, condition of the masonry and other criteria.
7. Measure or estimate the total height of the chimney which will be lined. Chimneys do not need to be lined to the very bottom, just to the place where they pass through the wall to connect to your appliance.
Armed with this information you will be ready to make a few key decisions.
Flex or stainless?
wall pass though options?
Whether you are installing the liner yourself or having a pro do it, the above will give you some background and overview of the relining process.